MGL Avionics V6 VHF Aviation Radio Transceiver
Stereo | Built-in 4-place VOGAD Intercom | Isolate Modes | Intelligent Knobs
Based on the digital technology intruduced in the V10, the V6 provides the same powerful 6W transmitter and modulation system. Designed for 25Khz spacing with 8.33Khz compatible operation selectable, the dual scan receiver boasts the fastest scanning time which means no loss of reception quality during receive of the standby channel.
100 channel storage and channel operating mode compatible with the V10. Four place, dual circuit intercom system with full isolate. Each intercom microphone input has its own level control and VOGAD noise suppression system. Dual PTT inputs. Black box flight recorder audio output.
The intercom outputs are fully stereo with a dedicated stereo music input plus two auxiliary channels for mobile phone and EFIS annunciators.
The V6 radio fits a standard 2 1/4" round instrument hole from the rear and provides simple mounting due to captive nuts.
Wide Operating voltage range: 12V to 28V DC.
What is new with the V6, compared to the V10?
Smaller Cutout: The V6 fits a standard 2 1/4” instrument hole.
Knobs: Frequency and volume selection is via standard multifunction knobs. Frequency knob is intelligent and will tune in big steps when you rotate it quickly and in 25 khz steps when you slow down.
Full Stereo: The V6 features a stereo intercom that allows you to listen to stereo music if you connect a music player to the aux audio input (requires stereo headsets). Music automatically mutes down on receive/transmit. There are also 2 mono audio inputs for EFIS alarm annunciator and phone connection.
4 Microphone Channels: The V6 has 4 individual microphone channels for independent level/VOGAD settings for each mic in a 4-place aircraft.
Independent Radio/Intercom Volume controls: The V6 allows you to ‘turn down’ the radio volume while keeping the intercom volume high, for use in busy radio environments.
Isolate Modes: Flying a 4-place aircraft and want to let your 3 passengers (or your 2 backseat passengers) talk amongst themselves while you do the hard work up front? Select one of the V6 isolate modes.
Note: Radio depicted in video has original green LCD. New V6 Radios have white on black LCD.
Upgrades are available for original V6 radios. Contact us for more info.
What makes the V6 so special?
Small Size: The V6 fits in a round 2 1/4” instrument hole, but has a mounting depth of only 4.2” + connectors!
Light Weight: Approximately 8.8 oz (about 0.5 lb). One of the lightest out there - great when every ounce counts!
Powerful: 6 full Watts of transmit power. Huge power for a small package.
Digital Interface: Set frequency on the radio from an MGL Avionics EFIS or any equipment capable of setting frequency on the SL40 radio.
Built-in VOX / VOGAD Intercom: The V6 features a high quality intercom system (not a ‘hot mic’ - this intercom is really usable as your primary intercom!). The intercom has 4 independent microphone channels. There are several modes of operation for the intercom, including VOX options and MGL Avionics’ proprietary VOGAD system. VOGAD (or voice-operated gain-adjusting device) works by adjusting the gain of the microphone as your speak based on the level of your voice. This has the effect of eliminating background/engine noise between your words as you speak and can be used with simple passive headsets to produce the results normally obtained using expensive active noise cancelling headsets. It doesn’t ‘break squelch’ like a VOX intercom - it is activated by your voice and is constantly adjusting to your voice level. (Click here for more on VOGAD).
MGL Avionics V6 features:
- 6W TX carrier power (unmodulated). Typical Power at 13.8V is 6.5-7W.
- Navigation Band (Monitor Audio Only): 108.000 - 117.975 mhz with 25 khz spacing
- Communications Band (Transmit and Receive): 118.000 – 136.975 mhz with 25 khz or 8.33 khz spacing
- Sunlight readable LCD display
- 100 channels with alpha-numeric frequency name and function (when radio operated in channel mode)
- 10 frequency lists (Garmin/Icom communications compatible)
- Active and standby frequency/channel selection system or direct frequency selection modes
- Dual scan with priority on active using single transceiver
- SL30 and SL40 communications compatible with MGL extensions to enable full remote control of entire transceiver with status feedback
- Fully digital audio subsystem for excellent sound quality
- Dual circuit digital intercom system (Pilot and passenger circuit, each with own stereo audio output)
- Four place microphone circuit, each with own level control and noise suppression system. Assignably, 1+3 or 2+2 channels (dual circuit intercom)
- User selectable ambient noise suppression system and VOX modes:
- Traditional VOX with adjustable level and fading mute
- MGL Avionics propriety VOGAD ambient noise elimination system.
- Switchable voice band filter for extremely high noise environments.
- Stereo music input with automatic fade down on intercom activity.
- Stereo outputs for each intercom circuit. Note: To make full use of the stereo intercom system, stereo headsets are required.
- Two auxiliary audio inputs, mono, for mobile phone and EFIS annunciator
- Adjustable microphone levels with bargraph display of levels - easily adjust for best performance
- Pilot and passenger PTT circuits
- Pilot and passenger PTT join or isolate
- Audio output drives 8 ohm speaker or 600 ohm headsets
- Fully digital class-D modulator for best in class power efficiency during transmit
- Excellent TX sound quality with digitally controlled modulation
Download V6 Frequency List Editor here.
Works with Windows (32-bit).
This application is used to create frequency lists for upload to V6.
- Highly accurate and stable fully digital PLL frequency source
- Dual superhet receiver with 45Mhz 1st IF and 455Khz 2nd IF
- Bargraph display of received signal level
- Bargraph display of transmitted audio level - see how well your TX carrier is modulated (visual sidetone)
- Field updatable software (requires PC with RS-232) - subject to FCC restrictions
- PC based interface application available free. Maintain your frequency databases on your PC and upload if you prefer (requires RS-232 port or USB to RS-232 converter)
- Wide voltage range operation - 10 V to 28 VDC
- Super low power consumption: RX 230 mA, TX 1.2A (at 13.8V DC)
- Fits standard 2 1/4" instrument hole.
- Very low weight: 250 grams (~1/2 lbs)
- Very small mounting depth, only 4.2” (10.7 cm) plus connectors
- Zero internal adjustment and calibration during either production or service, no adjustable inductors, capacitors or anything else for long stability and service life
- Low cost - best "bang for the buck" airband radio ever created
Note: This radio is non-TSO’d and is for use in Experimental and light-sport aircraft and aircraft not having a Type Certificate prohibiting the use of non-TSO’d radios and equipment.
Click Purchase to order today!